This is WILD + FREE
We are launching a campaign to raise $400,000 by December 31, 2017 to purchase a plot of land in central Virginia to develop a Village Farm Center for Wild + Free. It will be used for retreats, conferences, camps and events.
The area we've identified is close to the Appalachian Trail, as well as Shenandoah National Park, and 40% of the U.S. population is within a day’s drive. This idyllic setting has beautiful views of fields, forested foothills, a bold mountain creek, and the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains.
In the vein of Young Life’s wilderness camps and Francis Schaeffer's L'Abri in Switzerland, we envision a place where Wild + Free can equip families for this all-important journey of homeschooling and nourish the hearts of all who come.
The Call of the Wild + Free
In three short years, Wild + Free has grown from an Instagram account into a homeschooling movement. There is a stirring happening within a new generation of mothers who want to cultivate beautiful, life-long learners, pursue nature-inspired learning, prolong the wonder of childhood, and raise our kids to be wild and free.
You are a vital part of this community called Wild + Free, and here are some of the things we’ve accomplished together:
- Eight conferences and family camps with more to come
- Three years of content bundles to equip and encourage
- Thousands of children served in the Wild Explorers Club
- Nearly 1,000 Wild + Free groups all over the world
- A thriving homeschooling community on Instagram
- Three print collections and two monthly magazines
- A new book in the works: The Call of the Wild and Free
We Need a Place of Our Own
Wild + Free is more than just inspiring quotes, annual conferences, and monthly content bundles. We are creating an approach that will preserve this way of life for generations to come and ensure that our children’s children can be wild and free.
But like any good story, ours is fraught with challenges:
- The demand for events is greater than we can meet.
- The cost and availability of venues are prohibitive.
- Wild + Free can only go so far with rented facilities.
- Wild + Free families need a welcoming place to get away.
For every conference we host, we turn away hundreds of homeschooling mamas who can’t get in. And we’re unable to host the other kinds of events this community really wants and needs. We need a place of our own.
A Place For All of Us
We need a place where homeschooling mothers can come together for weekend workshops and much-needed getaways, a place where teens can spread their wings with some time away, a place where children can learn and care for nature, and a place where families can make lasting memories with new friends.
We need a place where we can equip families for the journey of homeschooling and nourish the hearts of all who come:
- A place for Wild + Free gatherings throughout the year
- A place to raise honeybees and teach kids beekeeping
- A place with acres of rolling hills, woodlands, and water
- A place to send your child to Forest School for the week
- A place with a ropes course and a zip line through the trees
- A field strewn with telescopes for watching the stars at night
- A place with an event barn for conferences, and events
- A place with a Christmas Market hosted every winter
- A place with a butterfly sanctuary and ice cream shop
- A place with eco-friendly tiny homes nestled throughout the property
When the property is developed, we envision a series of outbuildings for hosting events, lodging guests, serving food, and sheltering animals. It will be a place for retreats, camps, conferences, gatherings and special events.
A Place to Run Wild + Free
But we can’t do this without your help. So we are launching a campaign called "A Place to Run Wild + Free" to raise $400,000 by December 31, 2017 to purchase the property. We plan to accomplish this vision in three phases:
- Phase 1: Purchase the land
- Phase 2: Build the event barn
- Phase 3: Construct the tiny houses
The land will be acquired by our 501(c)(3) non-profit organization called Historytellers, which was founded by Ben and Ainsley Arment in 1998 to host conferences. This will enable all financial gifts to be tax-deductible.
Will You Answer the Call?
As a vital part of Wild + Free, you are invited to join us in bringing this vision to life. Together, we can create a place where our community can gather, our families can make unforgettable memories together, and our children can run wild and free.
Will you help us create a Place to Run Wild + Free?
There are two ways to participate:
1. Contribute to the Campaign
We are thankful for every gift that comes into the campaign. Every person matters. Every contribution counts.
Whether you give $5 or $5,000, your donation takes us one step closer to bringing this vision to life.
2. Become a Fundraiser
Sign up to become a fundraising leader among your family, and friends. As part of our core team, you’ll receive special updates, sneak peeks of the property, and other perks along the way. We'll even host contests and give away prizes for your efforts.